When an author submits his or her manuscript to a publisher, there are several things to go into their decision on whether or not to publish the author’s work. First, of course, is “Is this a well-written book that people will want to read?” The very next question is “what is this author’s platform?”
What is an Author Platform?
An author platform is a suite of sites, tools or outlets through which an author can assist the publisher in creating sales for his or her book.
The publisher wants a partner in the author.
- A speaking tour with sales opportunities at the back of the room is considered a potential platform.
- A regular radio show with national distribution or being a frequent guest expert on a national television show is considered a piece of a sales driving platform.
- Being a previous bestseller is also a part of an author platform.
- Having a very large e-mail database with a healthy “open rate” could be the type of platform item that could convince a publisher to publish a book.
- And, so could a large and engaged social media following.